(Photo: Alan Sullivan)
BOSTON – Boston Bruins General Manager Don Sweeney announced today, October 25, that goaltender Anton Khudobin has suffered an upper body injury and is expected to miss approximately three weeks.
Sweeney also announced that AHL Providence Bruins goalie Malcolm Subban has been recalled on a day-to-day basis and will start tonight against the Minnesota Wild.
Subban, 22, hasn’t been hot in the AHL so far with a 0-3-1 record, a 4.50 goals-against-average, and a .846 save percentage.
“I can’t control any of that stuff,” coach Claude Julien told NHL.com after morning skate at Warrior Ice Arena. “I just want him to go in tonight, play a real solid game because we know he can. He’s a good goaltender. Just because he had a bit of a rough outing doesn’t mean he has to have one tonight. This is an opportunity for him to play well and to demonstrate that he’s ready to play in the NHL and that’s all he’s got to do.”
In 99 games over four seasons with the Providence Bruins, Subban has proven he has the chops with a 45-31-15 record. Last season, he finished with a .911 save percentage in 27 games.
The Toronto, Ontario native younger brother to P.K. Subban was the 24th overall pick by Boston in the 2012 entry draft, is going into his second NHL game with confidence.
“I think just not overthinking it,” (Malcolm) Subban said. “I think just play my game, be relaxed in net is the biggest thing for me. If I can do that, I’ll have a really good game.”
The team recalled goaltender Zane McIntyre from the Providence Bruins on an emergency basis Saturday and assigned him back to the AHL Sunday.
Khudobin has started two games with Boston this season and in his 8-year NHL career, the 5-foot-11, 203-pound netminder has recorded a 44-41-8 record with a 2.45 goals against average and .917 save percentage.
The UST-Kamenogorsk, Kazakhstan native was originally selected by Minnesota in the seventh round (206 overall) of the 2004 NHL Entry Draft. He signed with Boston as a free agent on July 1, 2016.
McIntyre joined the team for Tuesday’s morning skate at Warrior Ice Arena and be available for their game vs. Minnesota at TD Garden at 7 p.m. This is the second NHL recall of his career after being recalled on an emergency basis on Saturday, October 22, when he dressed as a backup for the team’s game vs. Montreal.
McIntyre, 24, has appeared in three games for Providence in 2016-17, compiling a 1-0-0 record and currently leads the AHL in goals against average (0.44) and save percentage (.977). The 6-foot-2, 206-pound netminder played his first professional season with Providence in 2015-16, recording a 14-8-7 record with a 2.68 goals against average and .898 save percentage in 31 games. He had a six-game point streak (4-0-2) and allowed two goals or fewer in 13 of his 28 complete games.
The Thief River Falls, Minnesota native was originally selected by Boston in the sixth round (165 overall) of the 2010 NHL Entry Draft.
O’Gara is in the midst of his first full professional season with the Bruins organization in 2016-17. He has appeared in three games with Boston, recording a plus-one rating. The 6-foot-4, 205-pound defenseman also skated in five games with Providence in 2015-16, posting one goal and four penalty minutes with a plus-two rating.
The Massapequa, New York native was originally selected by Boston in the fifth round (151 overall) of the 2011 NHL Entry Draft.
TRANSACTION: Bruins issue update on goaltender Anton Khudobin; recall goaltender Malcolm Subban from Providence on emergency basis; assign defenseman Rob O’Gara to Providence.
(Contributing: Carly Mullady)