0 935

There are at least three terms in hockey that should never be uttered until they have been accomplished: hat trick, shutout, and sweep. Boston University is probably wishing they never uttered that last word last Friday night.

In a home and home series with UMass Lowell, the Terriers played host on Friday night and the River Hawks returned the favor on Saturday. Friday night’s game at Agganis Arena proved to be a tight game in scoring that resulted in the teams playing some overtime bonus hockey.

As the buzzer signaled the end of regulation the teams were knotted at one. BU’s Mike Moran had finally ended the scoring drought for the teams at 17:23 of the second period, with an assist from Charlie McAvoy. With 7:29 remaining in the third though, Lowell’s captain, A.J. White, would get the tying goal for the River Hawks. Unfortunately for Lowell, the boarding penalty on Ryan Dmowski carried into the overtime period, during which Boston University’s Jordan Greenway would seal the deal just 29 seconds into that extra frame.

Sean Maguire and Matt Lane (Photo: Rhonda McClure)

Sean Maguire and Matt Lane (Photo: Rhonda McClure)

Considering how close the game was, it was a bit surprising to hear Moran and Greenway talking about the possibility of a sweep when responding to questions of the media after the game.

River Hawks’ head coach, Norm Bazin, wasn’t thrilled with the play of his team Friday night. And while only his players know what he said to them about that game, whatever it was motivated them to come out and spank the Terriers on the backend of the two games.

The River Hawks opened the scoring 11:26 into the first with a goal from Dylan Zink, assisted by White and Dmowski. The Terriers responded roughly 90 seconds late when Bobo Carpenter notched his eighth of the season off assists from Ahti Oksanen and Greenway. And that’s pretty much where the River Hawks began to take over.

Zink got his second of the game and the period at 17:46 which may have taken a little wind out of the sails of the Terriers. Lowelll would score three more goals in the second before BU could respond with about five minutes remaining in that middle inning—including a third from Zink for his hat trick. Zink, who opened and closed the scoring in the first period would open it in the second. Adam Chapie scored the next two for the River Hawks making it look like he might also get a hatty in the game, which he didn’t, though the River Hawks would end up with six goals by the end of the game.

To their credit the Terriers kept at it, scoring their third and last goal of the game at 17:45 of the third. Terriers’ net minder Sean Maguire had an uncharacteristic night on Saturday allowing three goals on 18 shots and was replaced part way into the second period with Connor LaCouvee who didn’t fare any better.

The Terriers will go back to their tapes and see where they could have done things differently of course, but there are reasons for some of the superstitions in sports—especially those in hockey—and the team may think twice before they use one of those three terms ahead of the accomplishment going forward.

Post-game interviews:

A family historian by profession, Rhonda R. McClure has loved hockey since she was a child in New Hampshire. Any opportunity to combine her love of writing, hockey and research is something she looks forward to with much enthusiasm. She's been accused of seeking out shinny games when there are no other hockey events taking place. She is a member of the Society for International Hockey Research. Follow her on Twitter at @HockeyMaven1917.


Leave a Reply