During the Olympics, there is a lot of emphasis on the athletes and the devotion and commitment they need to compete in their chosen sport. And all of that is true—the money, equipment, family support, and exercise and involvement of the athlete are all necessary to make it to the Olympics. Now, consider doing that while missing one or both of your legs and going out and playing hockey. Such is the Paralympic Sled Hockey Team and for Team USA they are at Sochi to defend their 2010 Paralympic Gold from Vancouver.
The Paralympic Winter Games will take place from March 7-16 in Sochi, Russia. And for those interested, all of the U.S. games will be streamed live at TeamUSA.org. NBC and NBC Sports Network will also have Paralympics coverage.
The U.S. Paralympic Sled Hockey Team is currently training in North Carolina through February 22, with final preparations taking place in Colorado Springs—where Team USA will hold practices on February 26 and 27 before they embark for Sochi on February 28.
Seven of the seventeen players on the 2014 U.S. Paralympic Sled Hockey Team are returning from the 2010 U.S. squad. They are determined to defend and try to reclaim the gold.
The game schedule for the U.S. Paralympic Sled Hockey Team is as follows (times are Sochi/EST), with all games taking place at Shayba Arena:
- Sat., March 8 (4:30pm/7:30am) – against Italy
- Sun., March 9 (5:30pm/8:30am) – against South Korea
- Tues., March 11 (5:30pm/8:30am) – against Russia
- Wed., March 12 (5:00pm/8:00am) – 5th-8th Placement
- Wed., March 12 (9:00pm/noon) – 5th-8th Placement
- Thurs., March 13 (2:00pm/5:00am) – Semifinal
- Thurs., March 13 (9:00pm/noon) – Semifinal
- Fri., March 14 (2:00pm/5:00am) – 7th Place Game
- Fri., March 14 (9:00pm/noon) – 5th Place Game
- Sat., March 15 (2:00pm/5:00am) – Bronze Medal Game
- Sat., March 15 (9:00pm/noon) – Gold Medal Game
Ice Warriors: USA Sled Hockey
However, before the competitions begin, The 2014 U.S. Paralympic Sled Hockey Team will be featured in a one-hour documentary entitled “Ice Warriors: USA Sled Hockey.” This documentary is scheduled to debut on Monday, February 24 on PBS and follows Team USA across North America as it prepares to defend its 2010 Paralympic gold medal at the 2014 Paralympic Winter Games in Sochi.
The show will also be available online in its entirety beginning February 25
For more information on the U.S. Paralympic Sled Hockey Team, you can visit their web site.