(Credit: Hockey Canada)
On Tuesday, January 7, 2014, Hockey Canada, along with executive director Steve Yzerman and the members of Canada’s National Men’s Team management group, announced the 25-man hockey team roster they will ice during the 2014 Olympic Winter Games to take place in Sochi, Russia, February 7-23.
While there may be some players that individual fans feel were overlooked, the team itself is solid in many areas necessary to play the international level of hockey. This roster includes some alumni from the Gold Medal-winning team from the 2010 Vancouver Olympics.
Three goalies, eight defensemen and 14 forwards will don the maple leaf crested jerseys to play for their country and try to bring another gold medal to what many consider the home of hockey.
- Robert Luongo of Montreal, Quebec (Vancouver Canucks, NHL)
- Carey Price of Anahim Lake, British Columbia (Montreal Canadiens, NHL)
- Mike Smith of Kingston, Ontario (Phoenix Coyotes, NHL)
- Jay Bouwmeester of Edmonton, Alberta (St. Louis Blues, NHL)
- Drew Doughty of London, Ontario (Los Angeles Kings, NHL)
- Dan Hamhuis of Smithers, British Columbia (Vancouver Canucks, NHL)
- Duncan Keith of Penticton, British Columbia (Chicago Blackhawks, NHL)
- Alex Pietrangelo of King City, Ontario (St. Louis Blues, NHL)
- P.K. Subban of Toronto, Ontario (Montreal Canadiens, NHL)
- Marc-Édouard Vlasic of Montreal, Quebec (San Jose Sharks, NHL)
- Shea Weber of Sicamous, British Columbia (Nashville Predators, NHL)
- Jamie Benn of Victoria, British Columbia (Dallas Stars, NHL)
- Patrice Bergeron of Sillery, Quebec (Boston Bruins, NHL)
- Jeff Carter of London, Ontario (Los Angeles Kings, NHL)
- Sidney Crosby of Cole Harbour, Nova Scotia (Pittsburgh Penguins, NHL)
- Matt Duchene of Haliburton, Ontario (Colorado Avalanche, NHL)
- Ryan Getzlaf of Regina, Saskatchewan (Anaheim Ducks, NHL)
- Chris Kunitz of Regina, Saskatchewan (Pittsburgh Penguins, NHL)
- Patrick Marleau of Aneroid, Saskatchewan (San Jose Sharks, NHL)
- Rick Nash of Brampton, Ontario (New York Rangers, NHL)
- Corey Perry of Peterborough, Ontario (Anaheim Ducks, NHL)
- Patrick Sharp of Thunder Bay, Ontario (Chicago Blackhawks, NHL)
- Steven Stamkos of Unionville, Ontario (Tampa Bay Lightning, NHL)
- John Tavares of Oakville, Ontario (New York Islanders, NHL)
- Jonathan Toews of Winnipeg, Manitoba (Chicago Blackhawks, NHL)
“I would like to congratulate the 25 players nominated today to Canada’s Olympic Team,” said Yzerman. “With the depth of talent in Canada, these players should be very proud of their nomination today and excited about the opportunity that we all have to represent our country in Sochi in February.”
The men’s Olympic hockey tournament begins Wednesday, February 12, with Canada’s first game on Thursday, February 13 against Norway. The tournament culminates with the gold medal game on February 23. In the Olympic preliminary round, Canada also faces off against Austria on Friday, February 14 and Finland on Sunday, February 16. All of these games take place at the Bolshoy Ice Dome in Sochi.