One of our absolute favorite seasons is fall, of course the trees are fiery with color and the air is crisp, but we really love it because of all the cheap squash produce at the market. One of the squash varieties that causes us to celly, butternut. Currently suffering a rainy cold New England day, a warm bowl of soup makes for the perfect lunch, dinner or snack. Our crockpot vegan friendly Butternut Squash Soup is the Stanley Cup of fall recipes.
This soup makes a fairly large batch, so if you’re the only one eating it, absolutely half the recipe.
1 large butternut squash (approximately 6 cups)
2 medium sweet potatoes (approximately 3 cups)
1 Apple (we used a granny smith but any kind will do)
5 cups water
3 vegetable bouillon cubes
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper
1 can coconut milk
1. Peel and cube the butternut squash, sweet potatoes and apple, place in crockpot
2. Add 5 cups water and 2 bouillon cubes
3. Let the above ingredients cook on high in your crockpot for 5 hours
4. If you have a hand mixer, we highly recommend that – however, we didn’t and used the blender, ladle the mixture into a blender and liquefy until it’s a smooth consistency, do this until you’ve made it through the entire contents of the crockpot (about 4 times if you fill the blender 3/4 of the way). WARNING, the mixture is hot so please blend with caution!
*We suggest pouring the blended soup into a separate bowl as you make your way through the contents in the crockpot as to not mix them.
5.Once you’ve blended everything, pour your bowl of soup back into the crockpot and add 1 can coconut milk, stir thoroughly.
6. Let soup heat on low for an additional hour and serve! We garnished ours with a few pieces of green onion for added flavor, enjoy!